It’s a nutritional powerhouse. It’s the emoji of the year. It’s the cause of an ever-increasing number of ER visits (avocado hand? Google it). Yes, our collective cups runneth over with love for the little green fruit that could. But (don’t all pummel me with guacamole for saying this) … aren’t you just a teensy bit sick of avocado-everything?
Fine, you don’t have to admit it. But I will. I’m tired of throwing out the ones that go bad because I stock up on too many at once and they all ripen at the same time. I’m especially exhausted by the constant worry about how to keep the other half from going bad (Leave the pit in? Cover in plastic wrap THEN seal tightly in a container? Douse liberally with lemon juice?)
Which brings us to avocado TOAST, which—quite frankly—is also rapidly approaching it’s 15 minutes, no? OK—you don’t have to agree with me. But if you do, or you’re looking to mix up your routine, or maybe you’re of the many people out there who just DON’T LIKE AVOCADOS, feel free to try one of these many, many other topping ideas on your daily bread instead.
Cheesey Pleasey Toasts
Start or end your day with a fruit-and-cheese breakfast or dessert.
- Ricotta + sliced banana + Nutella
- Mascarpone + sliced strawberries + mint + honey
- Creamy asiago + sliced pear + sunflower seeds
- Cottage cheese + sliced pineapple + toasted coconut
Ladies Who Lunch Toasts
- Homemade egg salad + spinach leaves + sliced radishes
- Greek yogurt + cucumber slices + diced tomato + feta cheese + pepper to taste
- Sauteed red onion, diced tomato, and cannellini beans + garlic powder + olive oil drizzle
Chocolate Lover’s Toasts
S’mores on toast, yo!
- Melted bittersweet chocolate + sea salt + extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped dark chocolate + mini marshmallows + broiler
“Your Kids Will Eat These” Toasts
You’ll like ‘em, too.
Hot Off the Food Truck Toasts
Tell me you wouldn’t pay $$$ for one of these on your lunch break.
Say What? Toasts
Confuse your tastebuds. In a good way.