‘Tis the season of outdoor happy hours, sunshine-y weekends, and picnics galore — huzzah! Then, shortly after, you remember you have a job and/or responsibilities that require you to be a functioning human the next day. While some would say this puts a wrench in social plans, we say…fear not. Here’s a few delish cocktail recipes that will keep you in the summer spirit — and won’t make you pay for it the next day.
My personal fave. Did you know some studies show tequila can actually be good for you? I mean, that’s not why this incredibly easy-to-make cocktail is my go-to sugar-free summer drink…but it definitely doesn’t hurt.
- Grab your glass and add some ice.
- Drop 1 shot of silver tequila in.
- Add a splash (about 1 or 2 shots) of 100% grapefruit juice.
- Slice a few limes and squeeze ‘em on in there, too.
- If you’re feeling super fancy (oh, you fancy, huh?), you can garnish it with a wedge of grapefruit in there, too.
The Watermelon Mojito
Let’s be real — there is absolutely nothing more refreshing than watermelon in the summer. It’s already sweet AF on its own, so you can skip the cane sugar and added sweetener in this mojito for a healthy(er) option that won’t let you down.
- Process about 1-2 cups of seedless watermelon in a blender until it’s (pretty close to) a liquid, then pour it into your favorite glass.
- In a teeny bowl, muddle together some squeezed lime juice and mint leaves, then pour it over your watermelon blend in the glass.
- Add 1 shot of silver rum, and a splash of club soda or seltzer in the remaining space.
- Not sweet enough for you? Mix in some honey or agave nectar for good measure.
Cucumber Gin Cocktail
Need to switch up your usual, plain old G&T? It’s about that time. The combination of cucumber and mint here is just what the doctor ordered…if he was a proponent of gin.
- Grab a cocktail shaker. (Don’t have one? Life hack: Find a reusable water bottle with a big mouth that you can twist a cover on.)
- Throw in 5 mint leaves and 3-4 skinny lime wedges (squeeze that juice in there before you drop ‘em in).
- Add a shot of gin.
- Muddle and shake (yes, sounds like the next dance meme).
- Add in 6-8 cucumber slices and shake it up again (once more, with feeling).
- Pour the mixture in a glass with some ice, top off with a bit of tonic, and shake it up.
- Want to make it sweeter, sans guilt? Add 1-2 tablespoons of agave nectar.
Strawberry & White Wine Spritzer
More of a wine person than a liquor fiend? I present to you the easiest wine spritzer you will ever make in your life.
- Fill a big ‘ole glass halfway with ice. Pour 2-3 ounces of white wine (I’d recommend a Sauvignon Blanc).
- Add 2-4 diced strawberries (depending on their size) into the glass.
- Fill the remainder of the glass with unsweetened seltzer (try a lime or lemon flavor).
- Squeeze in the juice from a lime wedge and drop it on in there, too. Stir well.
And, of course – drink responsibly, ya’ll.